Thursday 6 September 2012

Indie rock.

I have decided on an Indie Rock genre for my project. This is a genre of music I am interested in and I feel know the most about. I watch a lot of YouTube videos therefore know many of the conventions they include and also how bands us disjuncture with an out of the ordinary video to grab the attention of its audience and target market.

I want to portray a modern Indie Rock band aimed at a younger target market than most. For this I think a younger looking band would be more relevant and 'up and coming' which the new generation.

Typical conventions of a music video include the standard dark clothing, black skinny jeans, hats and maybe black suits in costume. I think for a more modern stand out band I would change this style to make my band stand out. Some conventions such as having a four membered band with the lead singer in the middle as the star image I would want to keep the same as this is what the target market want to see and can maybe relate too.

Also I have seen that Indie bands generally are seen together almost all of the time in order to promote themselves, therefore I will think about this throughout my digipak, poster and music video.

In my music video I will be using close ups of the band members and instruments, being interesting to my target audience. In this I will have to think about facial expressions and how they portray to the audience. Typically in the Indie Rock genre they tend to keep plain and serious expressions.

The bands instrument will be a factor as all indie rock bands uses guitars, basses, drums and vocals. Not all bands use these in their music video and stick to a narrative however I feel most bands chose to include the instruments. Some bands also chose for themselves not to star in the video. However I think for a first music video I will need to have the band members within the video, to allow the audience to see them and therefore build recognition.

The setting and mise en scene for the music videos in the indie rock genre are normally very urban with a back street setting to go with their style. I will think about if I want to carry out this convention in my video or if I want to use a disjuncture setting to stand out and be different. Also the limits to what is affordable and realistic will affect the choice of location for the filming.

As far as editing straight cuts are most common in indie rock music videos. This goes with the usual fast paced music keeping the audience interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment